- Tour Dates
- TKA Meets Symphony
- Make an Inquiry
- About TKA
- Contact Us
The intern program at Ted Kurland Associates is open to all students who are currently enrolled in a degree course of study. TKA has long-standing relationships with the intern programs of Berklee College of Music, Northeastern University, Boston University, New England Conservatory, Emerson College and Endicott College. Students from disciplines outside of music and music business, and from other schools, have also interned at the agency. Our unpaid internships are available throughout the year, and offer flexible hours.
Ted Kurland Associates began as a booking agency in the seventies with vibraphonist Gary Burton as one of its first clients. TKA has since become the premier boutique booking agency for jazz music. Miles Davis, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, and Modern Jazz Quartet have all been clients of the Agency. The present roster includes Chick and John, Pat Metheny, Wynton Marsalis, John Pizzarelli, Jon Anderson of Yes, Poncho Sanchez, Gary Burton, Sonny Rollins, Roy Haynes, Ellis Marsalis, Cécile McLorin Salvant, Ramsey Lewis, and many others. TKA also represents blues, folk, and world music artists in their present roster including Dr. John, Angelique Kidjo, Del McCoury Band, Béla Fleck, James Cotton, the Soul Rebels Brass Band, Ronnie Earl, and The Royal Southern Brotherhood.
TKA arranges bookings for these artists on a national and international basis. Interns will work on projects that include overviews of the booking process — from planning tours and soliciting dates to the negotiation and contracting process. TKA also has a Management Division that counts Pat Metheny and The Soul Rebels among their clients. Management does utilize TKA interns on a case-by-case basis — assisting in the areas of artist management, tour management, and music publishing and royalty accounting. Additionally, TKA handles all of its marketing and design work in-house using state of the art graphic design tools.
TKA hopes to create an experience that will help interns to better understand the business of booking and managing artists. As noted above, all internships are unpaid positions, however, there are instances where freelance data entry projects become available and are paid on a per-project basis. In addition to general administrative tasks, interns are encouraged to explore components of the business in greater detail through independent projects formulated in conjunction with the Internship Coordinator. Benefits of the internship include mentorship by senior agents and VPs, and a music industry focused resume/Cover Letter workshop.
Duties may include:
- Assisting Contract Managers and Agents.
- Researching information via the web.
- Assisting in web-site publishing and maintenance.
- Maintaining / updating databases.
- Assisting with e-mail marketing projects.
- Organization of materials for publicity mailings.
- Helping to organize tour materials and help advance tour dates with proper marketing materials, including the tracking of ticket sales.
- Maintenance of the video library and other publicity materials.
- Proof-reading marketing materials.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to take projects to completion.
- Open to jazz, blues and world music.
- Students with a background or experience in music, music business, marketing, public relations, graphic design, photography, statistics, information technology, accounting, law and business strongly encouraged to apply.
If you are interested, you can send your resume by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send snail mail to:
TED KURLAND ASSOCIATES
173 Brighton Ave
Boston, MA 02134 USA
Director of Marketing and Internship Coordinator